VT Apple IPM: Apple scab

I don’t have a lot more to say than I said last time- if you’re expecting rain, expect to protect your orchard from apple scab. We are entering the accelerated phase of primary apple scab season now, and given how wet it was last year I expect there is a fair amount of inoculum out there so that even small releases of spores (as a percent of total potential infection) could cause substantial disease. This week I made a quick video where I walk through my thinking regarding whether or not we need a fungicide in the UVM orchard using NEWA, how to predict spray windows using other online tools, and how to select the materials we will be applying using the New England Tree Fruit Management Guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_sbm7yad-4

Where trade names or commercial products are used for identification, no discrimination is intended and no endorsement is implied. Always read the label before using any pesticide. The label is the legal document for the product use. Disregard any information in this message if it is in conflict with the label.

The UVM Tree Fruit and Viticulture Program is supported by the University of Vermont Agriculture Experiment Station, UVM Extension, USDA NIFA E-IPM Program, and USDA Risk Management Agency.

UVM Extension helps individuals and communities put research-based knowledge to work. University of Vermont Extension, and U.S. Department of Agriculture, cooperating, offer education and employment to everyone without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, and marital or familial status.