Emma Tschaikowsky Reflects on her courses

Can you tell me what interested you about this class you are taking?
I chose to take elementary school math because it was important for me to know how to teach math at the elementary level. I chose to take children with disabilities class because I am interested in studying the human development behind those who may have disabilities. I chose to take language and policies to understand how some non-english learners learn english depending on culture. 

What are you learning in class?
In my elementary school math class, I am learning base-ten in terms of decimals and toothpicks but I am also learning rounding. This is the type of math I would be teaching K-3 with. In my children with disabilities class, I am learning how society can include those with disabilities leading to acceptance. It’s important to accept those with disabilities because they are born with something that they can’t change. In my language and policies class, I am learning terms such as intersectionality, the diversity wheel and racism. These are all terms that come into play when it comes to learning a new language. 

This entry was posted in Think College Commentary. Bookmark the permalink.