UVM Extension Agricultural Engineering, Resource Innovation Institute, Efficiency Vermont, and VT Division of Fire Safety recently teamed up to provide a webinar as part of the UVM Extension NW Crops and Soils Team Hemp and UVM Extension New Farmer Project series. This session focused on safely and efficiently drying and curing hemp to support customer quality needs. An introduction to drying herbs and flowers is available in this post.
The session covered the following topics:
- Drying Basics – Chris Callahan (UVM Ext Ag Eng) and Gretchen Schimelpfenig (RII)
- Energy Efficiency Measures and Incentives – Lauren Morlino (Efficiency Vermont)
- Safety – Landon Wheeler (VT Division of Fire Safety)
- Public buildings
- 20 VSA and Vermont Fire and Building Safety Code
- Major Hazards Associated with Drying Operations
- Use of Materials / Vapor barriers
- Stored Combustible Materials
- High Pile Storage
- Blocked Exits / Lack of Exits
- Homemade Equipment / Listed (UL) Tested / Designed Equipment
- Heat / Moisture Removal
The group encourages hemp growers to contact us for technical assistance regarding their drying and curing processes and facilities.