Domino’s, Dining Halls and Dives. Your Favorite Burlington Eateries, Part 1

This week we are launching a new series where we visit our favorite Burlington haunts, bring one of you with us for lunch, and discuss why these spots will always have a place in our heart.

(You can sign-up to come to lunch with us next month at the bottom of the post)

Burlington has a lot of great eateries, so it’s easy to associate your time at UVM with lots of great food. We are still finding new restaurants, while also revisiting old favorites and want to share that experience with you.

Our first stop is Henry Street Deli!

In case you didn’t know, Henry Street had a fire about a year ago, and thankfully without too much damage. They had to close for what felt like forever, but this provided an opportunity for some renovations. It’s still the same Deli we all know and love.

This week we had lunch with Dana Elleman ’16

What are you up to now?

It has been a year since I graduated and decided that I wasn’t ready to leave Burlington. Right now I am a graphic design intern for the Annual Giving Team at the UVM Foundation. I do things like design letterheads, inserts, logos, case statements, blog videos and other web graphics. I really enjoy it and I have learned so much the past few months.

Why did you choose Henry Street? 

I picked Henry Street because recently I moved across town and haven’t visited since they reopened. I needed to check out the new digs and get my favorite BBQ chicken sandwich. The Henry Street staff is great. They are true sandwich artists, master crafts people.

Sometimes, when I am feeling adventurous and not wanting my classic BBQ chick I’ll get a wildcard: a specialty sandwich made by the Henry Street employees after asking you a few questions about your preferences. It’s like the surprise of what’s inside the cereal box, I have yet to be disappointed by a Henry Street Wildcard sandwich.

It’s also great because they have everything you need, if you run out of toothpaste or toilet paper even beverages. You can get it all in this one stop shop.

Us waiting patiently for Dana’s sandwich, so we could all eat together.

So what did we get?

Dana: BBQ Chicken with bacon.

Kathryn: Oven roasted turkey, provolone cheese, lettuce, cucumbers, tomato, green peppers, and pesto mayo.

Ryan: Chipotle chicken, roasted peppers and onions, chipotle mayo

We took our spoils to Pomeroy Park, and found a nice patch of grass to eat, and reminisce about our favorite memories of Henry St.

Why does Henry Street have a special place in your heart?

Dana: Henry Street has a special place in my heart because they basically fed me for a whole year. It’s quick and you can grab it on the go. The best thing is calling ahead and then your sandwich is ready when you get there. It’s like magic. Henry Street is the one constant in my life.

Ryan: I didn’t live downtown until I moved back up to Burlington (Redstone Apartments, represent), so I never got the undergraduate Henry St. experience. Luckily I lived nearby during grad school and honestly ate there every weekday during the fall and winter. It was just WAY too good.

Each morning on the way to the library (being at the library was my job) I would order two breakfast sandwiches on english muffins: one with bacon, egg and cheese, and the other with sausage, egg and cheese plus ketchup. Nothing fancy, but somehow the flavors were extravagant, the heat of the sandwich cutting through the crisp morning air.

I have fond memories walking up the hill eating one, and then scarfing the second and washing it down with a large coffee in the library later in the morning. Even if the sandwich was cold, it was delicious. That combo will be forever connected to my studies. Now, every visit is a nostalgic reflection of yesteryear.

Kathryn: Henry Street was a weekend staple during my Junior/Senior year of college. No matter how hard my week had been with exams, papers, or the general struggles of college life, I could always rely on a Saturday morning walk to Henry Street Deli to clear my head, and a beautiful sausage egg and cheese breakfast sandwich to be waiting when I arrived there.

After college, my weekend relationship with Henry Street changed a bit. Now, my boyfriend and I usually swing by to grab a large sub before we head to the beach for the day, and it will feed us ALL DAY ( Trust me, that small sandwich had a full pound of turkey in it- their large sub is the size of a small child!).

We’re hoping to get out and visit all the classic Burlington eateries this year, but to do that we’ll need your help.

Sign-up to come to lunch with us and we will pick a random winner to join us for next month!

Where will we go next…it’s up to you!