We have discovered a lot of farms are ramping up, renovating, or improving their post-harvest areas for a number of reasons. Some want to make it easier to clean to improve produce safety, others have outgrown their current set-up, and some are looking just to make their workspace a more enjoyable place to work. Every farm grows different crops, sells to different markets, and has different budgets to work from. Rather than trying to summarise all information at once, we have chosen to capture the entire picture for a variety of farms that are willing to share the nitty-gritty details, what works, and what they wish they had done differently. Below are post-harvest case studies filled with pictures, examples, findings, and video interviews showcasing the different scenarios taken to improve their washing and packing space.
- Acres in production: 2.5
- New construction of a BarnHouse
- Featuring wash and pack space, walk-in cooler, workshop, and residential living space
- Build Cost: $300k
- Acres in production: 14
- New Construction of a Packing Shed
- Features dedicated wash and pack space, two walk-in coolers, CSA room and employee break area
- Build Cost: $100k
(Video interview currently available, full write-up coming soon!)
- Acres in production: 10
- Renovated old dairy barn
- Includes 4 remotely monitored cold storage rooms
- Build Cost: $60k
…Subscribe to our blog, and stay tuned for more to come!