Smooth and cleanable surfaces are an important aspect of areas where produce is washed, packed, stored and processed. Many farms are investing in renovations and expansions of these areas and are seeking materials to meet this “finish surface” need regardless of specific regulation. Meanwhile, food processing companies are often required to incorporate these materials due to regulation. This is a summary of some of the finish surface materials that are available, their pros, cons and pricing at this time.
- These are not necessarily compliant for food contact surfaces; they are meant to be finish materials for areas where food is being washed, packed or stored. The general guidance is “smooth and cleanable.” Check with the appropriate local and/or state enforcement agency to confirm applicability to your project.
- The prices listed are material cost only. The products differ in with regard to installation labor. For example, flexible sheathing like FRP will require some sort of rigid wall material to mount to where as rigid panels such as Trusscore, Extrutech and Utilite can be installed on top of furring strips. No installation costs have been captured in the prices listed.
- Links to manufacturer info are included. Most manufacturers sell via distribution channels. Check with your local building supply company for availability and current pricing. As with most materials, higher volume purchasing generally results in lower unit costs.
- The pricing on these materials is quite variable depending on the source, when you obtain a quote, the quantity being ordered and how it is delivered. The listed price is the best information available at the time of writing. Shop around and obtain quotes from several distributors.
- Most manufacturer webpages include an easy to find, specific, installation guide for their product that will be helpful in guiding installation.
- FRP panels use H or J channel trim between pieces and corners which are calked in place to ensure a moisture proof seam. Follow the manufactures installation procedures.
*Update: WallTuf Paneling is not distributed to the Vermont region! It can be ordered through Gilfoy Distributing in MA or Guardian Building Products in ME.
*Wallboard Supply Company in Williston VT is a source for FRP, Trusscore, and roofing materials. Check in with Poulin or Curtis Lumber for availibility as well.