Use of the Discussion Category.

This is where you will enter commentary relative to our class experiences. I will take the lead in offering a comment about each class. You can take it from there.

6 Responses to “Use of the Discussion Category.”

1. Todd M says:

All,

It’s been a great [nearly] two weeks. As the classic “Farside” cartoon goes – “May I be excused Teacher? My brain is full”.

The next couple days will be marked by digesting some of this stuff and includng some key parts into the project for this coming Friday. I believe there may be a tendency to put “too-much-stuff” into the unit plan which may make it all too cumbersome…it’s easier to edit out however, than to add more material.

Thanks for all your help,

Todd

2. Tara Holland says:

Today’s “Literary” exercise was super beneficial. Everyone did such a good job – and there was a lot information that was presented and generated in a fun, creative, DIFFERENTIATED way.

I have learned so much in this class so far, and I am really looking forward to hearing everyone’s projects on Friday. There is always a good mix of differentiation of the conent and process. So many ideas are generated every day – so thanks for keeping the class flexible and allowing us to further our discussions when necessary.

Tara

3. Tara Holland says:

Hey you guys-

I am concerned that people are fogetting about blogging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to comment on the flexibility of today’s class. I know that this morning started out a bit slow, but I felt that by the end of our 4 hours together we all shared a mutual appreciation for the content we covered.

I really enjoyed the video, and think that examples like that help everyone. It is one thing to read about differentiation, but it is another to see it put into action. I plan on watching the video tonight – or worst case scenario tomorrow – and let you all know what I got out of it 🙂

C U 2 Morrow. Tara

4. Tara Holland says:

I have been working on our final Project for a good part of the weekend. At the beginning of last week, I thought this project was going to be virtually impossible! I wanted to thank Dave, Dante and Charlie for not only bringing in sample lesson plans, but for going through them in detail as well. It was extremely helpful and informative to be walked though each of them – much more beneficial than finding examples online and making my own assumptions.

I also really appreciate the opportunity for the “newbies” to ask clarifying questions. We really have come in to this class with minimal context, so all of the conversations we have had have really helped understand the content and the process of DI (and many other topics) much better!

Both of the books thus far have been fantastic. The texts are informative, and they help make the overwhelming number of concepts and combinations of DI easier to grasp. Good pick on the books – it is so often the case that at the end of the semester we have books that have barely been opened.

Tara

5. Christie says:

This class has definitly been an experience for me! It’s been an up and down roller coaster ride but I now feel like I’m on the right level of thinking! I’m using all of your experiences and suggestions and that has helped me immensely. I appreciate everyone’s willingness to help me out and share with me your knowledge.

To be continued later…!

6. dnapolit says:

I was really impressed with the level of differentiated lessons that the three groups developed in 30 minutes today. It’s amazing what people can do under pressure. After four days of study I’m a firm believer in this educational theory. Tomlinson, Heacox, and Rathbone’s suggestions for how to do it and ways to manage differentiation have been helpful. I’m still struggling with how to find the time to make this a common practice in the classroom. I’m also curious with how the students will react and perceive what’s happening in the classroom. In any case, it makes perfect sense to strive to teach to each students interests and strengths. However, when you have between 80 -100 students that challenge is daunting.

Dante