Lebedev: “Imagine Yourself Ukrainian”

21 02 2014

From Imagine Yourself Ukrainian (Imaginez-vous Ukrainien), by author and sociologist Anna Colin Lebedev, an article that conveys a good feel for the everyday life of an average Ukrainian citizen:

“Imagine an absolutely ordinary life in a country whose people have endured deep crises for many generations. These crises happen so often that the people have somehow learned to live with them. Crisis or not, life is for living. [. . .]

“You have travelled extensively throughout Europe. Even if you haven’t travelled, you definitely have a TV that tells you there is a different life out there. You see how in detective movies policemen help ordinary people and, unwillingly, you compare them to the police demanding bribes on every mile of road.

“Your child is watching a TV show where a student can say, “Yes, I’ve done it! I’ve got my diploma,” while you count the money in the envelopes you’re preparing for the deans. Your old mother does not receive the medical help she needs simply because you don’t have the money. You have to pay everyone to open your own business.

“You are given hints that this is not something you want to write about if you are a journalist. You know the exact price list for the bribes if you work as an MP. You see how cities are filled with Lexus, Porsches, and BMWs, and you also see the people in them. The general atmosphere is becoming stifling and everyday life unbearable because it’s being bound by the ropes of corruption and cynicism.

“One day the last drop falls. . . .”

Read the complete article here.

Actions

Information

5 responses

21 02 2014
Wisata Pulau Pari

Wow, what an interesting article. I really enjoyed reading it.

1 04 2015
dili optim

There are some fascinating cut-off dates in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There is some validity however I will take maintain opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like extra! Added to FeedBurner as effectively

22 08 2018
bestandroidtoroot

DAMXyNBczK Lebedev: “Imagine Yourself Ukrainian” firmware zte v811w http://gofirmware.com/post/zte-v811w-p821e10-zte-v811w

23 10 2018
Ecstatic India Tours

ecstaticindiatours is India’s leading tour operator company provide best India tourist destination with luxury, romantic, honeymoon, medical, cultural and festival tour packages at best price.

28 10 2018
swift streamz

hey, thank you very much for the information.