Yep. It’s finally arrived. For many of you, your first loan payment is this month.
We get it. Even though it has been in the back of your mind for a while now, it still feels like a surprise.
But never fear, if you plan ahead and get organized, you won’t feel like this:
In fact, as an added bonus we are marking this occasion with a special giveaway: A free UVM Alumni Association bottle opener! You’ve earned it! Read on below for some helpful tips for making your first payment.
If you are anything like us, when our first loan payment arrived, we went through a lot of emotions…
“No way, this can’t be happening already, I just graduated.”
“It’s a conspiracy I tell you!”
“Just give me a few more months then I’ll be ready to start paying, I promise.”
“It can’t be true…”
“I’m still upset, but I realize this is just one more step in being a real adult.”
With this in mind, here are five essential things you should do before making your first payment – because Afterword has your back.
- Read this article to get started understanding your loans.
- Get Organized. Figure out if you have federal loans or private loans (or both) and how many. It’s probably easiest to ask your parents, look at old mail, or check your email — you loan provider has almost certainly tried to contact you by now.
- Pick a repayment plan. There are several types and many loans have an option for income-based repayment. Also, if you are in grad school, make sure to defer your loans.
- Don’t make your payment late. They are already going to get enough of your money. Don’t give them any extra.
- Get Your Free UVM Alumni Association Bottle Opener. Open your favorite Vermont beverage with it, sink into your couch, and start a Netflix binge. You earned it. (We personally chose some favorite maple and rhubarb seltzer).