Japanoise

book msbr

Citations: 

“Masonna Festival Beyond Innocence, Bridge, Osaka 2002 Japanoise.” YouTube. Accessed October 30, 2015.

“JAPANOISE.” : About the Book. Accessed October 30, 2015.

“Japanoise – Release Music Magazine Spotlight.” Japanoise – Release Music Magazine Spotlight. Accessed October 30, 2015.

Henriques, Julian. Sonic Bodies Reggae Sound Systems, Performance Techniques, and Ways of Knowing. New York: Continuum, 2011.

12 thoughts on “Japanoise

1. Matt Jackson

When I first started listening to your podcast, I was interested in how Japanoise pushes the boundaries of music because it is so different from the music we are all used to listening to. I was also curious about how Japanoise is influential to our culture as I have never listened to it before. But when I started listening to the video, I was overwhelmed and startled by the sound that was blaring into my ears. This feeling of complete shock is what draws me to your topic. It is just so different from anything I have ever heard. I think you did a good job introducing the sound to the listener as it makes people want to listen to more. Good job!

2. McKenna

This was one of my favorite trailers. Your podcast was extremely well thought out and articulated and you brought up some awesome questions. After listening to the video you’ve attached, I’m quite certain that Japanoise cannot be considered music at all. It seems very cathartic and might have some sort of meaning to the person making the noise, however as a listener it is immensely hard to follow and grasp how this could be a form of music. I’m really interested to see your full podcast to help me understand the musicality of this genre. Great job!

3. The Seer

You have a clearly developed thesis and you articulate it exquisitely well. You ask some very needed questions about japanoise. Indeed, can it really be considered music? In your absurd video of a Japanese gentleman thrashing about to sonic angst, I found myself asking this question too. I am a fan of the noise genre, but this japanoise stuff is quite different; it is certainly not listenable to me. Anyone can manipulate feedback through pedals; I do it all the time and it sounds better than that. Maybe I should tour Japan, steal the japanoise fan base, and make some decent cash. Anyway, excellent job with your trailer. I yearn to hear what conclusions you come to.

4. Hannah Natale

I am very interested in this topic after listening to this podcast. It was clear and easy to understand. The video was different but I am interested to hear more. I also liked how you related Japanoise to the paper “Sonic Dominance”.

5. lchaplin

I thought that this one was one the best podcasts. It was clearly outlined and I liked how you discussed what you are going to be learning about towards the beginning of the podcast. Your voice was clear and easy to hear, in addition to not being monotone which is a great quality to have. The quote that was incorporated was a great asset to this piece. Not only did it bring in someone else’s information into the podcast, but it provided a different source of facts that can be connected to a certain speaker. This entire topic is truly fascinating in terms of what is considered to be music, and what is considered to be “noise.” I’m really looking forward to your podcast!

Great Job!

6. ajbean

This is an extremely interesting topic. I like how in-depth you guys went when talking about japanoise in your trailer. Its extremely interesting to understand whats the difference between noise and music, and where does that line exist separating the two. This reminds me a lot of dub step in which some conceive it as random electronic noises, while others see it as music. I am very interested to see where this goes. I can’t wait to hear the finished product.

7. Charlotte

I think all of the questions you brought up and the issues you will be exploring are really interesting. That video was crazy and even though at this point I doubt I would call that music but I’m excited to see more and learn more about what brings people to enjoy it. Good job!

8. Elle Cunningham

I really like how you incorporated the Henriques quote into your trailer because it seems to fit to your topic so well! I’m definitely interested to listen to your full podcast and learn more about this strange type of “music”.

9. Noah Kantrowitz

While this style of music is a little kooky, I really enjoyed this podcast on such an odd style and I’m excited to be able to listen to the whole thing once it’s done. This genre/style of music intrigues me because like you said in your trailer, “It pushes the boundaries of what can be considered music.” I’m just curious to know will the underground culture of Japanoise ever translate into the mainstream if not already? Im not sure if in your main podcast you”ll be talking about this topic but it may be interesting to have a mainstream artist’s perspective of this underground style. Excited to see the final product!

10. Emily Downing

Loved this! I am definitely the most intrigued by your trailer. The video was super interesting, and I’m very curious to learn more. I really liked how you listed off questions that your podcast will answer for the viewers.

11. Eryka Collins

Your trailer was really good and i liked that your voice was very clear and you could hear what you were saying. This is definitely an interesting topic and the video was crazy! Your descriptions in the trailer definitely fit it very well.

12. Abra

Well that video was insane. Your trailer did a great job of giving an overview of what you’ll be studying for your final podcast, and I’m excited to hear your own opinions about Japanoise. I thought you asked good questions about the sound clip, which was a nice way to interact with listeners. I had no idea what Japanoise was before listening to this, an I feel like I have a vague idea now, but I hope to learn more in your full podcast!