5 thoughts on “Theremin

1. The Seer

Your podcast trailer is very informative, but perhaps a bit too drawn out. Save some of your great info for the real thing. You obviously have done a great deal of research already, and I look forward to listening to what else you have to say about the theremin. You picked an excellent audio clip of the theremin in use, as the player demonstrates a beautiful vibrato which gives the impression of a female opera vocalist.

2. Jack Jennings

I thought your description of the theremin really helped build a picture in the minds of listeners who were unfamiliar with it. I also was interested by the quote that said the theremin would have been as popular as the electric piano if it wasnt for the stock market. It’s tough to imagine the theremin being as influential as the electric piano but it is an interesting thought. Do you think maybe the theremin was too ahead of its time? Maybe if it had been unveiled a couple decades in the future it would have been more successful.

3. mgreenb3

I think that this is such an interesting topic in particular because it redefines what an instrument is, and what it means to be a musician. No other instrument can really be played without physical contact. It is also interesting to note that this developed and technology developed and it would be cool to explore what the future of music could be.

4. Noah Kantrowitz

This podcast trailer pulled me in right away with the picture alone. With all of the other pictures and videos, even if they seemed unfamiliar, you could make an educated guess by the instrument shape or culture engaged with that specific noise. But, when I came across this picture, I was thrown off because it looked like blueprints to a machine rather than a musical instrument or practice. When stated in the trailer that you don’t actually touch the instrument, and just move your hands around it, I became even more fascinated by this idea. In you main podcast, it may be interesting to talk about the possibilities of the theremin moving into the mainstream. Or if it already has, what the impact of this instrument is in pop culture today. I’m excited to listen to the whole podcast and get a full understanding of the therein. Great work so far.

5. csmontgo

It’s really interesting how it is able to be played with no physical contact. Do you believe that this is the characteristic that plays into redefining what an instrument is, or is it a combination of other factors?