Bookkeeping Basics for Beginning Farmers Video Series
This series of short videos offers practical advice on recordkeeping and using that information to build a more successful and resilient farm business. Topics include:
- Bookkeeping Basics Overview: Why bother with bookkeeping, different kinds of record keping, and presenter Julia Shanks’ “Four Rules of Bookkeeping.”
- Organizing Your System: Key concepts and creating a structure for organizing your data.
- Quickbooks Basics: Differences between the desktop and online versions, and considerations for selecting one or the other; the language of Quickbooks, and the asics of setting Quickbooks up for your business needs.
- Reading your Numbers: How to evaluate the health of your business by using the data in your records.
- Scenario Planning: Using your records in decision-making about the scale and direction of your farm business.
Funding for these materials was provided in part by the USDA Risk Management Agency under award number RM18RMEPP522C030.