Who We Are

Harry bio picture

Harry Voelkel was born across the seas, but has lived most of his life in Norwich, Vermont, on the banks of the old Connecticut river. He is currently a junior and is studying forestry, with a minor in wildlife biology.

The Adirondack High Peaks and White Mountains are two of his favorite places. He likes oaks and pines. His interests are mainly outdoor pursuits, chiefly hiking and fishing, but he also enjoys reading and woodworking. True happiness to him is a cold IPA in hand, burgers on the grill, good company, and the sun-setting behind the hills after a long day.

In the future he hopes to fish the salmon run in Alaska, hike the Pacific Crest Trail, see the redwood forest, hunt elk, work a fire season, build his own house and retrace Bob Marshall’s epic hike of sixteen Adirondack peaks in a day.

Olivia Bio Picture

My name is Olivia Lukacic. I am a sophomore studying forestry and environmental science with a concentration in conservation biology and biodiversity at the University of Vermont. I am from Acton, Massachusetts, but hope to live many places around the world, including on a house boat! I love being active outside and spend  a good portion of my time rowing, hiking, skiing, and playing  outdoors. I hope to inspire others to do the same!

Holding a Bird

My Name is Ethan Goss. I am a junior studying forestry at the University of Vermont. I grew up in Danville, VT which is 10 minutes outside of Saint Johnsbury. I have lived in the Northeast Kingdom for my whole life, but my heart really resides on Block Island where I live, work, and fish in the summer.

I decided to study in the field of forestry because I quite frankly can not imagine sitting inside, at a desk working. Studying forestry gives me an excuse to go out and hike around in the woods because I can say that I am studying or working.

When I graduate from college I plan on taking a year off before grad school and riding my 1969 Honda CB350 motorcycle up to the top of the continental divide highway and following it down into mexico and South America.

Jesse profile

My name is Jesse Baum. I am a second year student at the University of Vermont, studying Natural Resource Ecology in the Rubenstein School of Natural Resources and Environment. I hail from Brooklyn, NY, and grew up next to the lovely and chronically busy Prospect Park, where my interest in parks and natural areas began.

In collaboration with my group members’ investigations into public land use in the rural sphere, I was inspired to seek out the urban parks’ stories- how they help people, and how they are used.

The  poet Pedro Calderon De La Barca said “Green is the prime color of the world, and that from which its loveliness arises.” I think that this applies to how we need to treat our wilderness, and how it treats us. 

541667_415706525172989_2031953699_n

I am a second year student at the University of Vermont studying Environmental Studies in the Rubenstein School of Natural Resources and the Environment.  I grew up in Concord, MA and enjoyed spending my free time wandering the miles of trails in he Concord woods and floating in Walden Pond.  My current interests farming, rock climbing, and eating cheese.

I am a sophomore with a major in Wildlife Biology and a minor in Environmental Studies at the University of Vermont. I’m from Eatontown, NJ. I grew up swimming and surfing at the beach, exploring woods behind my house, and hiking in the Kittatinny Mountains. My ideal life would involve working in wildlife conservation, living somewhere with lots of trees, and running, hiking, climbing, and camping in my downtime.