Fugitive radioactivity

Cross-posted from Immanence

The Washington Post reports that “Ruthenium-106, named after Russia” has been wafting all across Europe.

Two quick observations here.

(1) “Ruthenia” is the Latin rendering of Rus’, which predates Russia (as we know it) by several centuries. The chemical element Ruthenium was named by its discoverer, Karl Ernst Claus, after the 11th century invaders of his Estonian home town of Tartu/Dorpat/Yur’yev, who made it part of ancient Rus’. Ruthenians today are a stateless people who live mostly in the Trans/Sub/Carpathian parts of Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Rumania, and western Ukraine. Ruthenians of yesterday (the early 19th century, to be specific) changed their name to “Ukrainians” to prevent confusion with Russia/Rossiya (which took the Greek version of the Rus’ name, Rossiya, for themselves when they — that being the Grand Duchy of Moscow — were seeking the credibility of an ancient and royal pedigree).

(2) There’s something poetic about a fugitive radioactive element which may or may not be produced somewhere in southern Russia and may or may not be masquerading as one of Andy Warhol’s people (the Carpatho-Ruthenians, from the center of Europe; as shown delightfully in Stanislaw Mucha’s films Die Mitte/The Center and Absolut Warhola, see below) making its way stealthily through the former imperial Austria, Germany, and the rest of Europe to the puzzlement of Europeans and the denials of Russians.

Something about it all reminds me of Werner Herzog’s Nosferatu… (Forgive me for playing on stereotypes of old Central/Eastern Europe… Having written about them a little, I should know better.)

16 Responses to “Fugitive radioactivity”

1. (1) “Ruthenia” is the Latin rendering of Rus’, which predates Russia (as we know it) by several centuries. The chemical element Ruthenium was named by its discoverer, Karl Ernst Claus, after the 11th century invaders of his Estonian home town of Tartu/Dorpat/Yur’yev, who made it part of ancient Rus’. Ruthenians today are a stateless people who live mostly in the Trans/Sub/Carpathian parts of Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Rumania, and western Ukraine. freelancer tips Ruthenians of yesterday (the early 19th century, to be specific) changed their name to “Ukrainians” to prevent confusion with Russia/Rossiya (which took the Greek version of the Rus’ name, Rossiya, for themselves when they — that being the Grand Duchy of Moscow — were seeking the credibility of an ancient and royal pedigree).

2. thanks for your good information. if you need govt job circular follow here

3. Hey, You have shared good content I appreciate it, Hopefully nowadays we have lots of things which make our life easy and the biggest thing is the Internet. For Example, I Was Searching about How to Check SBI Balance I FInd it Here with the full details I think it also helps you.

4. Latest Tech News, New gadgets Updating, Mobile technology, latest songs, health CRAZYJAR

5. Really amazing. I was thinking that this is just the simplest but it’s having a lot of other options into this and this is really amazing for me… I have used so many other but this is really awesome with its features….

6. Ffy9LYpLKp Fugitive radioactivity logicom l ite 502 firmware http://gofirmware.com/post/logicom-l-ite502-l-ite502-l-ite-502

7. I enjoyed over read your blog post. Your blog has nice information, I got good ideas from this amazing blog. I am always searching like this type blog post. I hope I will see again

8. 41MA6QLb28 Fugitive radioactivity the 8 best 65 inch 4k tv under 2000 http://the8best.com/best/the-8-best-65-inch-4k-tv-under-2000

9. Vivek Ydv Says:

There i have read about bing history deleting and http://windowstuts.net/binghistory there shared topic is very effective for this issue, me and my friend is always prefer to used this platform for clearing web browser history.

10. Great article. Thumbs up for our Croats and Neuralab, keep up the good work!
    Androroot

11. Things like this are quite worrying but hopefully those who are living in Europe are safe and healthy.

12. PS3 Emulator Android version, unlock the doors of incredible gaming fun accessing through the multifarious PS3 Games.

13. Things like this are quite worrying but hopefully those who are living in Europe are safe and healthy.