Salmon Hole

10/7/18

Hey there everybody! Welcome to my phenology blog! For my Phenology Spot I chose to blog about Salmon Hole in Winooski. Underneath Winooski falls, Salmon Hole is widely known as a local fishing spot especially for landlocked salmon. It is also an important spawning ground for lake sturgeon, an endangered species in the Lake Champlain regionĀ  The main reason why I chose this location is that I am an avid fisherman and outdoorsman so I wanted to blog about a place with both forest and water.

To get to Salmon Hole from Campus is pretty simple and only takes a seven minute car ride or a leisurely 20 minute walk. From Trinity you simply follow Colchester Ave down to the stoplight before the bridge into Winooski and take a sharp left onto Riverside Ave. Once you see a sign for Salmon Hole look around the corner for a trailhead that leads down to the waters edge.

44.487853, -73.189588

The vegetation at Salmon Hole changes drastically as you approach the waters edge. Walking down towards the Winooski river through the forest, there are an abundance of Sugar Maples, Silver Maples, Red Oaks, Paper Birches, and American Elm. However, moving closer to the water tree growth becomes scattered and the terrain becomes more shrubby, dominated by common buckthorn and wild grasses. It is interesting to note that the majority of trees closest to the waters edge were predominantly Silver maples and American Elm. I noticed that there were a few leaves that were starting to show a change in color and that the river was flowing pretty fast and high comparatively to when I last visited.

Most common woody plants:

• Silver Maple
  • American Elm
  • Common Buckthorn

I’m extremely excited to see how the changing seasons will impact both the river and the vegetation of Salmon Hole and am looking forwards to my next post. See you all around!

One Response to “Salmon Hole”

1. Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.