October 20th

Aerial Map of Phenology Site

Over the past week and a half as the weather has gotten cooler I’ve noticed some impressive changes at Salmon Hole. Many of the surrounding trees are now displaying bright fall leaves mixed with some lingering green. In addition to the fall foliage there is noticeably less non-woody plants in the area. Much of the wild grasses and flowers have browned and wilted, leaving the area more open. Despite the cold weather, there is no shortage of wildlife present at Salmon Hole. To the excitement of many fishermen, including myself, there is an abundance of aquatic activity in the Winooski. Salmon Hole is no exception with the presence of brown trout, smallmouth bass, rainbow trout, and of course, landlocked salmon. During my time spent there I saw an assortment of bird species including chickadees, robins, and even a blue heron. I also observed multiple squirrels and chipmunks as well as finding signs of racoon and fox in the form of tracks and scat. I’m excited to see what the next few weeks will hold ass the temperatures become even cooler. Until then, I plan to get outside and enjoy the nice weather!