New Phenology Site

After a couple weeks off it’s time to get back onto that Phenology grind, this time with a new site at Centennial brook. After studying the phenology Salmon Hole last semester I wanted to downsize a little bit and look into the phenology of a smaller water system. To my surprise Centennial Brook was not iced over and was still a reliable source of water for the local wildlife. At my phenology site I found a plethora of animal tracks including but not limited to mice, deer, rabbits, and what I believed to be crow tracks. There was also a variety of different size dog tracks that I noticed along the trails nearby. In addition to an abundance of animal presence, my new Phenology site also has a wide variety of plant life. Using the Winter twig guide I was able to identify common buckthorn, silver maple, black oak, and sugar maple around Centennial Brook.

I’m excited to start fresh with a new phenology site, especially since it’s so much closer to my dorm. Hopefully it will be just as fun as last semester!