Wetland, Woodland, Wildland

07 Mar

When visiting my phenology site I decided to attempt and classify the type of natural community that it was using Wetland, Woodland, Wildland. IT is hard to classify this area as one of the many types of natural communities as it is a strange location for sure, being man-made and taken over by nature. The plants present definitely make it seem like an upland hardwood forest with plenty of hardwood trees such as maples and oaks, and lots of woody shrubs. Although, it is hard to classify this area as such as it is most definitely not a forest, being on a small rocky peninsula. It certainly has some wetland elements being right on the water and all, but again, it does not display enough of the characteristics of such a community to be called such, being on the rocky strip that it is. If I had to, I would describe the area as a small strip of upland hardwood forest, although I would propose a different type of classification, a manmade area retaken by nature. In my recent visit, a few phenological changes have occurred as well. the ice is a lot thinner now and the water is beginning to lap up on shore, additionally, the snow is starting to melt away. It is hard to see any new plant life growing yet but I bet it’s under there just waiting for some warm sunny days to start poking up.