6 thoughts on “Dagomba Drumming: The Language of Sound (Trailer)

1. The Seer Post author

Abra: yes. Csmontgo: yes, their language is composed of syllables simple enough for the drums to recreate actual words and phrases.

2. Jack Jennings

I think talking drums are really c00l and I really am interested to hear more specifically about the dagomba drumming. The idea that language and music can be intertwined through tones is really intriguing. Most westerners would think of voice as the only way to communicate through language while most africans would consider the two to be very similar things.

3. Hannah Natale

This is great! By putting the drumming at the beginning of the trailer it was easier for me to understand the music you were talking about throughout the trailer.

4. Charlotte

I really liked how you had the drumming in the background as a way to start your podcast. I think you also brought up a lot of great questions and I think it’ll be really interesting to learn more about their culture and how the sound of drumming shapes their lives.

5. Abra

I loved how you started you podcast right away with the sound of the drums you’re studying, and continued to have it weave through your words timing it with your sentences. You also ask a lot of great questions that require people to think about the object more deeply. Does the rhythm the drums are played in change the meaning of their sounds in the multi-tonal language?

6. csmontgo

The idea that the tones of the drums are representations of the Ghanian multi-tonal language is really interesting. Is it specific enough where the drums are actually creating lyrics? or does it create more of a general emotion?