Staying active and maintaining a regular exercise schedule is essential for our health in so many ways. It helps our bodies maintain optimal condition to function and more importantly, an environment to heal from inflammation and infection. Exercise also increases endorphins – those feel-good hormones that help with energy and brain function.
Additional benefits include:
– Manage and prevent some diseases like type 2 diabetes, arthritis, heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, and certain types of cancer including breast and colon cancer
– Improved sleep
– Reduce levels of stress and anxiety
– Control blood pressure
– Improve mood and reduce feelings of depression
COVID-19 left gyms and fitness centers closed to the public and some still remain closed. If you are unable to head to the gym or don’t feel comfortable doing so just yet, there are many ways you can stay active at home.
– Get outside as much as possible (even in the rain or snow! You will learn to love nature no matter what the weather) for long walks, snowshoeing, or skiing.
– Many places continue to offer virtual fitness classes you can attend, even some for free. You can also always head over to YouTube to find any type of exercise class you might be interested in.
– Make fitness at home fun! Use heavier bottles as weights, dish towels as sliders, or a sturdy chair for step-ups.
– Stretching is equally as important before, after, and independently from a work-out. Stretch while watching a show, do as many push-ups as you can during commercial breaks or take the stairs instead of the elevator to add in forms of movement as much as possible into your day.
I hope you find space in your day today to get active!