Rocky Bottom, SC

I am writing to you today from an armchair underneath a taxidermy squirrel that was described as having been stuffed by someone who had never seen a squirrel. Above the fireplace is a taxidermy bobcat shown mid-stride as a diagonal walker. This room is nestled in the steep hills of the region. In my time here on spring break, I’ve spent a lot of time in the remote woods of the Pisgah national forest. This morning I took some time off from riding bikes to examine the natural communities of the area.

Woody Plants:

I found Hickory, Yellow Poplar, and tons of vines. The woods had not yet regained their leaves and had an unsettling emptiness to them. Leaves covered the floor. (Pictures to follow)

I found no animal tracks aside from some canine tracks in the cement steps. I believe them to be from a domestic dog living on the property at the time. There was a dead skunk on the shoulder of a local road, indicating that animals are out and about. Birds were active, with songbirds in the morning and woodpeckers chattering away in the distance.

I have pictures and audio of some birds that I will upload shortly.