Senior Spotlight: a series on our graduates

My favorite memories in 481 mostly revolve around moments where I would almost forget I was even in a class – moments where I was simply enjoying the company around me and the discussions we were having.

– tash brown
Tash Brown ’23

Why did you major in Religion?

I originally came to UVM as Undecided and spent my freshman year trying out any class that sounded interesting, hoping to find something that piqued my curiosity. In my second semester, I decided to take REL 30: Introduction to Islam taught by the insanely smart and funny Professor Morgenstein Fuerst and got my first taste of what studying religion could be like. And I absolutely loved it. It was one of the first classes where I felt I was learning something truly meaningful and important, while also finding the content super fascinating. 

Later that semester, I decided to declare Religion as my major just for the heck of it, thinking I could always change my mind later. Turns out I found the perfect fit for me!

Where do you imagine yourself in 10 years?

Man, who knows! With the world being on fire and all, it’s hard to even gage what next year will be like. My plan is to take things as they come and see where that path takes me! I’m hoping that in 10 years I will be happy, stable, and with the people I love. 

Imagine a first-year student has asked your advice about REL courses. What’s the one she shouldn’t dream about missing? Why?

All the religion classes are fantastic, so it’s hard to pick just one. Anything with Prof. Borchert and Prof Morgenstein Fuerst are a great bet. They’re both such amazing and brilliant people and are masters at teaching challenging subjects while maintaining a causal and comfortable environment.  

If you could write any book, what would it be?

I struggle to even finish reading a book, so I’m not sure I’ll be getting around to writing one anytime soon. If I were able to muster up the ambition, I would probably write on how the importance of religious literacy, especially when it comes to families and how religion is discussed in the household.

Any fond memories of 481 Main Street you want to share?

For a creaky, bug-ridden, drafty house, 481 Main St really did become a safe haven for me, particularly in these past two years. One of my favorite things about the religion department is how small we are, in the way that I was able to gain amazing relationships with my professors and classmates that I could have never done in one of the larger departments. Because of those bonds, this house really did become a home. My favorite memories in 481 mostly revolve around moments where I would almost forget I was even in a class – moments where I was simply enjoying the company around me and the discussions we were having. I especially enjoyed this past semester’s senior colloquium, where I basically got to hang out every week with some of my favorite people. 

What did we miss? Anything else you’d like to share?

Just that I can’t stress enough the impact this department has had on me, and how thankful I am for the people I’ve met and the lessons I’ve learned. Studying religion has been so rewarding, and I’m grateful to know more about something so significant and expansive. I honestly believe every student should take at least one religion course and get a chance to start seeing the world in a new way. It’ll blow your mind.