Senior Spotlight: a series on our graduating seniors

I really appreciate the interdisciplinal and intersectional nature of the study. I came to UVM hoping to start enjoying learning again, and the religion department is the reason I can say I’ve achieved that goal!

– alexa chinitz
Alexa Chinitz ’23

Why did you major in Religion?

At the beginning of the pandemic one of my friends was in the process of converting to Islam. Since there was nothing else to do at the time, we would sit and chat for hours about things like religion, politics, and identity. I enjoyed learning and talking about religion enough that I decided to take classes in school instead of relying on self education. I really appreciate the interdisciplinal and intersectional nature of the study. I came to UVM hoping to start enjoying learning again, and the religion department is the reason I can say I’ve achieved that goal!

Where do you imagine yourself in 10 years?

I would love to be in school for a PhD (ideally studying something that relates to religion). But if nothing else, in 10 years I hope to be a little bit wiser and know more about the world than I do now.

Imagine a first-year student has asked your advice about REL courses. What’s the one she shouldn’t dream about missing? Why?

Every 200 level course I’ve taken (secularism, empire, and body) has been much more applicable in my everyday life than I initially anticpated. I also have to give a shoutout to the class that got me started in the major – mysticism, shamanism, and possession.

If you could write any book, what would it be?

I have no idea, I can’t even pick a paper topic for my final due next month.