The Pespeni Lab in the Department of Biology at the University of Vermont is looking to hire an exceptionally motivated, organized, and skilled individual to work as a population genomics technician in our new research lab. We use genomics, developmental biology, and physiology to understand the underpinnings of resilience and vulnerability of marine species in the context of complex natural ecosystems, particularly changing climate conditions.
The technician will assist the PI in managing the lab and conducting research, with the opportunity for co-authorship on scientific publications. Specific duties will include ordering supplies and equipment, maintaining equipment, processing samples for genetic and physiology assays, microscopy, preparing RNA and DNA samples for sequencing, performing basic data analyses, training students, and maintaining an organized, safe and productive lab environment. The lab offers an exciting, integrative and supportive work environment, with opportunities to be involved in a wide range of research projects.
– A bachelor’s degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience in population genetics, molecular biology, or molecular ecology
– Experience preparing reagents/buffers, gel electrophoresis, and PCR
– Exceptional organizational skills and strong ability to accomplish tasks independently
– Ability to master detailed laboratory procedures
– Excellent communication and computer skills
– The ability to lift at least thirty pounds
– Experience with aquaculture of marine organisms either as a hobbyist or professionally
– Familiarity with scientific computing languages such as R, Python, or Perl, and working on command line
– Strong knowledge in evolutionary biology and marine biology
To apply, please visit the University of Vermont Jobs website https://www.uvmjobs.com/ and search for Posting # S231PO. Please submit a resume, three (3) letters of reference, and a cover letter that highlights your previous experience in the laboratory. Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. The position will ideally begin in May.
This is a full-time position, initially appointed for a period of 12 months with benefits. The position can be extended for at least one year depending on performance.
Please contact Melissa Pespeni (email@example.com) if you have any questions.