January Phenology

Since being back at UVM, this was my first time being back at my location. To no surprise at all, my spot in Centennial Woods had changed drastically. The walk to my spot was so icy and the snow was tightly packed. As I arrived to my spot I was not shocked to see that all of the trees were bare and the woody plants and shrubs looked dead. There was not much green showing anywhere because of the 2 to 4 inches of snow on the ground.

The stream was going at a slow pace and the bend of the stream had gotten a tad smaller due to the snow most likely making the dirt fall into the stream. Part of the stream had a very, very thin layer of ice on top but it was not the entire thing because the stream was flowing.

Sadly, during my time at my spot there were no signs of wildlife. The only tracks I had found were human tracks. In the distance a bird could be heard but I did not have a range on how far away it was. Along the snow, there were some seeds scattered around which did give me some indication that there were birds around at some point.

The twig that I had ID’ed in Centennial was a sugar maple. I could ID this one because of the obvious terminal buds and the lateral budding on the sides.

side where bridge flew away

Field Notes