Thanksgiving in North Andover, MA

Before coming to college, my sense of place has always been my friends, my family, my home, my beautiful (but sometimes strange) town of North Andover, Massachusetts. Coming to Burlington was something really new and different but because it reminded me of home it made it easier to create a sense of feeling here. However, nothing will ever be able to replace where I grew up for the most important years of my life.

North Andover is (somewhat)  the ideal image of what a town should have and look like. The town has a rich history dating back to the early 1600s and is something that the town holds with pride with many historical houses and landmarks still being preserved. Originally the town was settled as Andover (our now neighboring town) which is highly famous during the Salem Witch Trials since about 50 people were accused of being witches from Andover, As time progressed, more and more people moved to the area including many famous people that are important to our town’s history and development (TIMELINE). Although time progressed and more and more buildings, roads, and houses were being built, the town has always held the old-timey landscape to create this more historic and homey feel. For example, North Andover has maintained the brick building style with a rotary and beautiful, old churches that still stand. Another major biophysical aspect that is important to the town is the beautiful Lake Cochichewick and Steven’s Pond, both which are really important for the health and well being of the residents. A small (yet large biophysical aspect) that really reminds me of my sense of place is that the roads are placed so confusingly such as weird one way streets and very little direct roads from one place to another. It’s something that so many people get angry at but I just laugh and know its part of being from North Andover. Also, technically North Andover is a “college town” since we have Merrimack College here but a lot of people don’t think that at all.

Although a cool history and interesting landscape is nice for a sense of place, I think the greatest factors for me is my family history in the town and the friends and memories that I made. The entirety of my mom’s side of the family had grown up/still lives in the town. This goes all the way back to my great grandmother. This tradition had continued down to my grandparents who met and fell in love in North Andover to me going to preschool down the street from where I live today. Although I moved away for a bit, my home has always been North Andover and knowing stories from my grandparents, my mom, and other people really makes me appreciate what the town has become for the most part. The town has definitely gone through major changes (mostly a large increase in population) but the look of the town has lasted which I know would make my Nana so beyond happy. There are definitely some major flaws, but what doesn’t have flaws. Moving back in sixth grade was tough but over the years I have made some of the bestest friends anyone could ever ask for. Coming back from college and seeing them felt like we had never been separated. I think when you have this sort of feeling with people in a specific place, it’s a good sign that you are in the right place.

Overall, place-attachment and place-meaning impact my well-being a lot more than what I expected. Leaving for college I knew was going to be hard and even though I had adjusted to living somewhere new really easily, I still had a sense of home sick. North Andover was the only place I ever really knew. Coming back for Thanksgiving break made me realize how much I love where I live and how comfortable I am here. Coming back for a short amount of time and seeing friends and family I hadn’t seen in months really made me feel so much better and definitely will help how I will feel going back to school. However, I know that by being in a new place I will truly be able to live my full potential with nothing holding me back.   

Work Cited

TIMELINE. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.northandoverhistoricalsociety.org/timeline.