Home at Last

As I have said before, my sense of place isn’t just because I am in a certain place but with who I am with and the feel I get from being where I am with them. Sure, there are places around me that I could describe as a place that is somewhere I feel the most at “home” however, I feel that the most when I am around my family. They say home is where the heart is and I believe that to be true. The past three months I have been up in Vermont, a place I had only been a couple times before deciding to live there for the next few years. I love it up there but I still am working on my sense of place there. Coming home for the break has allowed me to feel like I know exactly where I am and who is around me. Being surrounded by my family and getting back to the things I grew up doing have given me the feel of just being able to relax and not stressed. I realized what I missed doing and being able to do those things brings so much happiness back into my life. 

One of those things is going for drives with my brother. We play all sorts of music and just drive around with no real destination. Most times we are looking for a spot to take pictures as he is a photographer (see some new pics below from our latest outing). I find that traveling with my family is a big part of my sense of place here because whenever we travel, we drive so it gives us time to talk and fool around with each other. I also missed being with my dogs and especially sleeping with my big baby, Koda. He’s a pit bull, lab, retriever mix that was a rescued from the streets of Baltimore City. It is likely that he was bred for dog fights as most are that are rescued by BARCS. Him and I bonded right away. As soon as we met, we were attached. I can’t imagine how it must have felt for him when I left… 

Being back home has provided me with a wealth of much needed relaxation. It has given me the chance to slow down and think about what everything really means to me. My home is in Arbutus, a small town in the suburbs of Maryland. Here there are still leaves on the trees and there’s not a single chance of snow in the near future. The grass is dry and brown as there hasn’t been rain in a bit. The skies are blue and the sun is shining. Not much has changed around here since I have left besides the temperature. 

This year my family is hosting Thanksgiving dinner. My mom and I will be up to our necks in all sorts of foods prepping for Thursday. This is another thing that really drives my sense of place home, baking and cooking with my family and just being able to see them all at once. My mom’s side lives around us and this is one of those times of the year when I get to see them all at once. It’s so nice to just be around everyone that you know and love. I have also been able to see some of my friends from home as they go to different schools than me. We’ve been able to catch up and talk about all the new things and people in our lives. 

Getting back into the things I used to be able to do like driving, being with old friends, and being with my family at home have really been beneficial for me. I needed the time away from the business and drama of college life…

~ by Kristina on November 26, 2019.