Naturally Curious

On my visit to my phenology site, I was focused on the habitat and the possible species that could use this location as a home. Specifically I was looking for a habitat that amphibians could use and live in. While I didn’t see any amphibians, the habitat did appear to be suitable for them. The ground was moist and there is a river going through my site, perfect for amphibians. Additionally there are grasses sprouting that gives amphibians ways to hide from predators and get around safely. The part of the habitat that would seem most suitable for amphibians was a side pool that was out of the main stream of the river. The water was calm and covered by sticks making a decent sheltered area for small species.

Here is the small pool at the bottom of the picture covered by vegetation.

When looking for wildflowers popping through the leafs and needles I did not see any poking through. There are grasses and small vegetation beginning to pop up in some places but underneath the needle hemlocks there was no vegetation growing.

When looking at the landscape ecology, my site is far from an edge of the forest. Because of this the habitat could be home to interior species, however my location is used by humans as a walking trail so it would be less likely to see animals because of the disturbance of humans in the area. It is a very large possibility that forest interior birds like the Scarlet Tanager could be found in my location.

Here is a sketch of my phenology site.