Natural Communities

Using Wetland, Woodland, and Wildland, (WWW) I have determined that my phenology sit spot is Upland Forest and Woodland. This is because the primary vegetation are trees such as Eastern Hemlock, Yellow Birch, Northern White Pine, and Red Maple. Also, looking at the canopy cover, it is greater than 60% covered meaning that according to WWW it can be identified as an Upland Forest and Woodland.

When looking at the phenology of my sit spot, not much has changed. There is still snow cover on the ground and there are no small, floor vegetation poking through the snow. What has changed is now the river is exposed, and also where I expected to see tracks, around the fallen tree, there were no animal tracks. What I did see however, were dog tracks. I know they were dog tracks, and not another animal because they were on the walking paths.

When using Biofinder, I found out that my location in Centennial Woods is habitat for rare species, and rare natural communities. It was interesting to use this online program and gain some knowledge I wouldn’t have otherwise.

Here are some images showing the canopy cover, tree species, the exposed river, and specifically the base of the fallen tree.