Final Post

Over the past 8 months, I have watched this landscape grow and change. It went from lush green, to cold and snowy, and now it is on its way to being green again. I have observed the leaves on the trees go from green, to orange, to barren, to red with buds.

I know where the deer like to play in this little spot in the forest.

I have spent hours in the woods trying to learn the ways of the creatures inhabiting it. I feel like I truly am a part of this place. I know it better than any other spot in the woods. I can recognize the trees as I am coming up the hill. I know the in’s and out’s of this landscape. I wish that I had become friends with a squirrel or something to really prove my point. But even if the plants and animals don’t know me, I know them.

As for nature and culture in this area, I have seen the remnants of logging that has happened in the past. The trail that I walk on is a logging road and many of the trees in the forest are marked with blue spray paint, indicating that they shouldn’t be cut. Humans have interacted with this landscape over time. Utilizing the resources that it provides. My neighbors get their water supply from the brook. My dads friends go hunting in the fall and spring. My family heats our house in the winter with wood from this forest. This landscape provides for us in ways that we could never return.