Natural Community

Hemlock-Northern Hardwood Forest

When classifying my phenology spot, I looked at the canopy and saw that the majority of the trees were hemlocks. I thought this could be due to the fact that all of the other trees don’t have leaves this time of year. But, upon further investigation of the forest, looking at the trunks of the trees, I noticed that hemlocks were still in the majority. There is also a high count of yellow birch trees, I almost classified it as a hemlock-yellow birch forest but there are too many maple and american beech trees to declare it as a hemlock-yellow birch forest.

Phenological changes

My first visit to my phenology site was in the early fall and all of the leaves were still on the trees. I have watched the trees transform into their bare, winter state. The understory has diminished this winter. I think this is due to the high deer activity in my location, they have been eating all of the young beech trees that once made up the understory. The stream has a layer of ice and snow on top and I could only see the water in one spot (the black rectangle in the middle of the picture on the right).