Greg Martin – Phenology Update

When I returned to the woods of Ringwood, New Jersey for spring break, I traveled to Brushwood Pond, where the last layer of ice rested on the surface of the water. The weather was warmer compared to Burlington, and the first buds had started to sprout on the red oaks and sugar maples surrounding the shores of the water. As we ventured out onto the slushy ice, we noticed something that came as a big surprise to me: bugs. They swarmed the marshy, thawed areas of the pond, likely where they were laying their eggs for warmer weather. What was even stranger was the fact that they were the only sign of animal life; there were no birds or other animal tracks to be found. In this aspect, it appeared very similar to that of Crescent Beach in Burlington, where there was no sign whatsoever of any animal life. However, I predict that in the near future, if I were to go back to Brushwood, I would see a rapid increase in animal life as compared to that of Crescent Beach, primarily due to the fact that the sands at Crescent Beach act as a desert of sorts, supporting very little life in its sands. Nevertheless, as I revisit the beach, it will be interesting to see what life revisits, and I will be sure to keep a close eye on the rate at which this all happens.