NR001 Phenology Spot – Crescent Beach

The spot for my phenology project in NR001 will be Crescent Beach, on the north end of Burlington in Leddy Park. To get there from campus, you simply go down to the waterfront, and take the bike path north along the coast of Lake Champlain. While it may be somewhat isolated and private, I chose this spot because not only is it conveniently close to my aunt’s house, but I will be able to observe both plant and aquatic seasonal changes. While it may seem like a simple beach, it is overgrown with trees and vegetation, and especially at this point in the year when the water is so low, it has provided opportunity for plants to thrive in an unusual place. Shrubs grow wildly in the shallow sands where soil and sand meet. There are no coniferous trees, and the surrounding trees are dominantly oak trees. As the seasons go on, it will be interesting to see how this isolated beach changes both aquatically and botanically, and I am looking forward to studying this.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&mid=1cCSheDPLZYdN462VZT9d_CL5K-jb-psA&ll=44.50357498770053%2C-73.2602923&z=18