Unemployment Insurance

The latest question circulating our group of farm business planners asks what agricultural businesses are required to carry unemployment insurance. As with any regulatory issue, we strongly recommend that you confirm your specific situation with the VT Department of Labor:    http://labor.vermont.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=55

Answer:    For Unemployment Insurance purposes  an “employer”  is defined as an entity that:      “Pays $20,000 or more in gross wages in any calendar quarter for agricultural services, or employs ten or more workers in agricultural employment, including legal aliens, during some part of a day in each of at least 20 different calendar weeks (not necessarily consecutive) in either the current or preceding calendar year”  page 3 from the guide below    

Click the link below to access the full manual: A Guide to Vermont’s Unemployment Insurance Program                     http://labor.vermont.gov/Portals/0/UI/A-26.pdf