April Showers…

Hello From A Giant Mud Puddle!

I should’ve worn my rainboots when I visited my phenology spot a couple of days ago; being right next to the banks of a river in springtime calls for very specific footwear!

Being right in between a road and a river does not leave much room for understory plants to grow.  Especially when the river is always in the process of flooding and receding, it doesn’t provide a very stable habitat for most plants to grow.

However, the trees that were able to establish themselves have begun bloom, which is very exciting.

In my exact phenology spot, I have a lot of Boxelder Maples, here are some pictures of their buds:

I traveled a little bit during this visit because there wasn’t much to see in my immeditate vicinity, and I came across another budding tree.  These buds had a single scale and were alternating along the branch.  I kind of think they look like a goose head.  When I got back, I checked my twig ID sheet, and I am pretty sure that it is a willow branch – check it out!

Going further along the path also helped me find understory plants.  There weren’t any flowers, but I’m pretty sure I found some garlic mustard.  Garlic mustard is an invasive species that has heart-shaped leaves and crinkle cut edges.  Let me know if you think this is indeed garlic mustard!

I wasn’t able to find any signs of amphibians, but I don’t really think this is their ideal habitat.  I think they definitely like more of a forest interior space and Salmon Hole is completely surrounded by edges.   I know amphibians like vernal pools, and all the water in this area is fast flowing, which would not be good for laying eggs.

I did see a lot of birds though, or at least signs of them!   The chickadees were making quite a ruckus and other birds we chimed in as well, I am just not familiar with their calls yet.  I could also tell that they have been snacking on berries because red and seedy fecal matter was present throughout the area:

I also finally saw beaver tracks!  I still haven’t found their lodge, but I knew they were there!

I’m almost positive that these are beaver tracks because they have five toes, and they are right on the water.

Maybe if the beavers are out it means that spring is just around the corner!