World of Work: Nydia E. Guity ’09, Fordham Tremont Community Mental Health Center

Nydia Guity headshotNydia E. Guity ‘09
Mental Health Clinician
Fordham-Tremont Community Mental Health Center at Saint Barnabas Hospital
New York City
Major: Social Work
Graduate Program: Fordham University – Master of Social Work

How would you describe what you do on a typical day?

I service clients for individual, family, and group therapy sessions. Topics range from how to manage depressive / anxiety symptoms to how to build and maintain healthy daily routines.

Tell us about your path to this position.

I am a mental health clinician in an outpatient clinic. At this time my goal is to obtain the License in Clinical Social Work (LCSW) and start a private practice. During my time at UVM, I did not expect that I would pursue a career in social work. My plan at the time was to go back to school for a Masters in Nursing.

How did your time at UVM, both in and out of the classroom, prepare you for your position?

My time at UVM helped me become aware that social work is more than just helping people.  I learned how to work with resistance and focus on strengths in order to progress in treatment.

What advice do you have for students searching for jobs or internships in your field?

My advice would be to be open minded to different settings and open to learning from every experience in the field.

What was your childhood dream job?

My dream job as a child was to be a hair stylist. I always loved helping people and encouraging them to look their best. When you look good you often feel good!