World of Work: Colleen Ring '99, Senior Account Executive with Nike

Colleen Ring '99

Colleen Ring ‘99 Senior account executive, Nike

New York, New York

Major: Canadian Studies/Art History

How would you describe what you do on a typical day to someone who is unfamiliar with your field?
Account executives at Nike are responsible for optimizing Nike product sales with a specific account base.  Since I work directly with an account, developing and maintaining relationships with key personnel at all levels is critical.  I also analyze weekly sales data to help in preparing and planning future seasons’ merchandising & product strategies.

What advice do you have for students searching for jobs or internships in your field?
Internships are a great way to get your foot in the door and see if the company is a good match.  Use this time to show management what value you can add to the team, but to also ensure it’s the right fit for you.  I interned at Saks Fifth Avenue, and while the buying offices were not exactly right for me, it gave me visibility to aspects of the wholesale/retail industry that helped lead me to Nike.

What three words would describe your work environment?
Energizing, Innovating, Connected

What motivates you to go to work every day for this organization?
Nike motivates me to stay athletic, stay focused, work hard and play hard.  We have a dynamic team of people in my office, it’s competitive, but it drives you to succeed.

Tell us about your path to this position. Did you expect to hold this job when you were a college student?
I really didn’t know what I wanted to do after graduation. I started going through possible internship opportunities at the career center and just sending out my resume to any/all that sounded somewhat interesting to me.  Within a month I was in NYC interviewing for the Saks Fifth Avenue Buying program.  Now, 11 years later, I’m still here, and still in the retail industry.  I feel extremely fortunate that my choices led me to Nike.

If you’re interested in seeing all our World of Work profiles, click here. If you are a UVM alumnus and would like to be featured, please contact us at career.services@uvm.edu. If you are interested in contacting a featured alum, check out the Career Connection alumni database or contact us.