World of Work: Allan Urgent '93, Assistant US Attorney

Allan Urgent '93

Allan Urgent ‘93, Assistant United States Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice

Newark, NJ

Major: Political Science

Graduate Program: Fordham University School of Law (J.D.)

What does your typical day look like?
I represent the United States of America and federal agencies in civil litigation. The types of things I do include appearing in court to advocate for the government’s position, drafting legal documents and correspondence, and communicating with client agencies and opposing counsel to negotiate case resolutions.

How did you get to where you are today and were there any significant experiences that helped shape your career path?
I served as a judicial law clerk for two different federal judges, and I worked for four years at law firm doing commercial litigation before I obtained my current position.  As a judicial law clerk, I was able to develop my legal research and writing skills, observe practicing attorneys at work, and learn what motivates judicial decision-making.  As an associate at law firm, I got practical experience representing clients.

Do you have any advice for undergraduates?
Talk to as many people as you can in the fields that interest you and pay particular attention to people who love their work. Understand that it might take you longer than you would like to get where you want to be, but keep working towards putting yourself in the best position to capitalize when an opportunity becomes available.

What would you do differently about how you went about your career?
Do a better job of developing and maintaining contacts from all of the positions that I have held including internships.  Do not underestimate the importance of personal connections in determining who gets hired.

If you’re interested in seeing all our World of Work profiles, click hereIf you are a UVM alumnus and would like to be featured, please contact us at career.services@uvm.edu. If you are interested in contacting a featured alum, check out the Career Connection alumni database or contact us.