The Importance of Reflection

Lily on water with reflection

You are halfway through the semester and have earned a break from classes through a gift known as Spring Break. Maybe you’re spending the week on vacation with friends and family, or catching up on research for your thesis. Perhaps you’re spending the week in service, or you’re eating your way through as many home-cooked meals as possible. There are many ways that you might use this time and one additional thing you can do is reflect.

In our fast-paced world with the demands of life, it can be challenging to find times to pause, breathe, and reflect. However, some of our best learning occurs when we carve out time to consider the experiences we’ve had, how they shape us, and what we desire moving forward.

Reflection can happen in a variety of ways and you can explore which best meets your needs. For some, journaling with prompts can bring good insights. Others may choose to meditate on a quote or intention to find clarity. Having contemplative conversations with confidantes can shine light on things you never realized about yourself.

As you approach the second half of the semester and thinking about future career goals, spend some time considering:

• Who and what matters to me in the world around?
  • How do I know when I’m doing my best work?
  • When I am living as my most authentic self?
  • What skills have I gained thus far? What new skills might I like to acquire?

Having regular checkpoints for yourself throughout your career will ensure that you are always moving in directions that allow you to grow and develop. Treat yourself to some reflection this break.

~Ashley Michelle