Spotlight on Nick Celedón, M.Ed.

The Career Center is thrilled to introduce Nick Celedón. Nick is a seasoned pre-health advisor, and we are fortunate that he has joined our team part-time as the co-coordinator of the Health Professions Interest Group.  Nick is available for virtual appointments through Handshake (choose the appointment type labelled “Pre-Health Foundations”). Contact him at: nicholas.celedon@uvm.edu 

ABOUT: 

Are you from Vermont? No, I still consider myself a native Texan. 

College: Texas Christian University (TCU) 

Degrees: B.S. in Movement Science and M.Ed. in Education with an emphasis in Urban Education  

How did you begin working as a pre-health advisor? 

In my last year of college, becoming a physical therapist for a professional sports team was no longer appealing.  After graduating from TCU, I began working with middle and high school kids from under-resourced communities. This experience led to me pursuing a graduate degree and after some soul searching, I came across a position advising pre-health students. Not knowing what pre-health advising entailed, I figured this position would allow me to tap into my experiences as a former pre-physical therapy student.  College students also seemed to be the next gradual step in my career. This also allowed me to work with underrepresented students, who I could relate to as a Mexican-American male.  

What do you enjoy about working in higher education? 

I love working with students. I’m really just a big kid at heart! Interacting with college students not only keeps me young but allows me to stay in tune with what is happening in the world from the perspective of a younger generation. Most importantly, it allows me to be of service to underrepresented students and this has the potential to make a larger impact on society.   

Fun fact? 

Love traveling and have visited over 25 countries. 

Top 3 tips for pre-health students: 

• Be diligent – activities, coursework, interacting/engaging with professors is not easy, but you have to take ownership of your pre-health journey 
  • Mental health is real! Take time for yourself and know that one exam or one class does not define you.  
  • Learn to be reflective.

Advising Philosophy?

Pre-health can be a rollercoaster and I was fortunate enough to be a part of the ride!