About the VFWF Scholarship Initiative

What can VFWF scholarships cover?

Scholarships can be used to defray registration fees for educational conferences, courses and classes.

The key to a successful proposal will be explaining how the education relates to improvements you are considering on your farm.

Who can apply? 

VFWF targets its scholarship awards to women who own, operate and/or work on Vermont farms, and who earn a majority of their income from farm-related activities. 

How much can I request?

VFWF will contribute up to 75 percent of class/course/conference registration fees. Except in cases of extreme financial hardship, the maximum scholarship amount will be $150. 

VFWF reserves the right, at its discretion, to award less than the full amount an applicant requests or no amount. 

How will awards be decided? 

In selecting scholarship recipients, we are seeking individuals who:

Have specific plans to use the skills, information and knowledge they gain at the conference to implement successful farming practices on their own farm in the next 6-12 months, and/or who intend to share what they learned with other farmers in the 6-12 months; 

Agree to submit a written report about the education they received within six weeks of the event, and to respond to follow-up surveys from the VFWF.

Award decisions will also consider the applicant’s financial situation.

When Should I apply?

To be eligible for funding, applications must be submitted to the Vermont Farm Women’s Fund least 10 days before the event that you want to attend.

When will I find out if my application was approved?

VFWF reviews and awards scholarship requests on a first-come, first-served basis as funds are available. Applicants are notified within 10 days of receipt of the application.

Can I reapply if I am unsuccessful?

If your proposal is not selected, you can resubmit it for a future round of funding. Rather than simply resubmit the original proposal however you might consider ways to revise and strengthen your proposal.

Can I reapply if I receive an award?

If you receive an award from the VFWF you will need to wait 2 years before applying again. This is to ensure that the funds are spread out and help as many individuals as possible.

How do I apply?

Please use our online application form.