March

30 Mar
A lot of our property, especially towards the back, is covered in eastern white pine
The grass area between the two stands of trees is a marsh that sits between our house and the other development.
Acorns. There are a lot of red and white oak on our property.

Typically, we have quite a lot of animal activity in my backyard but because of the rain and cold, there hasn’t been much going on. However, today I did see chickadees at the bird feeder, a few grey squirrels, and I did hear crows when I went outside. This past week I have seen, heard, or noticed signs of returning species. For example, one of my favorite species that returns during the spring are the cardinals. Each year we have a pairing that hang out in a bush we have by our driveway. I’ve seen them multiple times when Ive been coming and going from my house. Robins have also returned and have been all over our yard looking for insects and such. When considering mammals, chipmunks have started to move around and i’ve seen a few under our bird feeder collecting dropped seeds. Buds on trees have also started to pop up and spring flowers like daffodils have started to poke out of the ground.

In regards to the pictures I took, they are all from different places around my yard. We have a lot of oak trees so acorns coat the ground in multiple places. Eastern white pines are also in a few different spots but are mostly in the back where the forest becomes denser. On one side of my house, there is a marsh that stretches between our property and the street parallel from us.