A Place I Know

There is a place, where the water is cool and the leaves always rustle. The leaves always rustle because there are so many aspens. Quaking aspens, saw toothed aspens and cottonwoods. They are grouped together and form little havens to small shrubs and saplings. Bees are constantly visiting the flowering shrubs and herbaceous plants. The lake borders the western edge of the plot. At the bottom of the post you will find a link to a map of the plot and directions.

The area is open and grassy. Many rough weeds and small saplings grow between the aspens. There are many aspens on this plot. Mainly quaking aspens with a  few sawtoothed aspens. There is also a fair number of large cottonwoods with one huge cottonwood hanging over the lake’s edge. Many smaller honeylocust border the edge of the shore. Very small sumac seedlings are beginning to take over the untended areas of the plot. There are a number of other trees present, including: eastern white pine, white oak, red oak saplings, boxelder, one white ash, an ironwood, and two small Norway maple seedlings.

When I first visited the plot I did not see the wide diversity of trees. My eye was constantly drawn to the stunning aspens and this is part of why I chose this spot; there has always been a place in my heart for aspens. When I returned a second time I was able to explore the plot and find much more. I found small trees that had passed from the woods across the bike path and had taken root between the aspens and cottonwoods.

Map and Directions

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.