A UVM blog Phenology Blog

4/29/24 City Nature Challenge

I explored some of the outer edges of campus, within campus, and the golf course. I tried to record a variety of species, trees, shrubs, grasses, and signs of wildlife. I was more successful in finding trees and shrubs and struggled to find signs of wildlife.  

Genus Clethra

My experience was overall good. I think iNaturalist can be a little hard to get used to at the beginning, but after using it for a little bit, it gets much easier. I really appreciate some of the features it has to help people identify species without any prior knowledge. It is very inclusive in that way.  

Genus Taxus

I encountered many species but recorded around 75 in iNaturalist. As I said, many of which were shrubs and trees. I hope that in future iNaturalist’s I can contribute more wildlife signs.  I was able to catch a skunk on my walk which was incredible!

Genus Rhododendron

I was really surprised to see that the city in the lead with the highest amount of observations was the Washington DC area. I was surprised to see that there were so many species to record despite it being such an urban area.  

Genus Acer