Senior Spotlight: a series on our graduates

Majoring in religion allowed me to understand the world around me a little bit more and pose important questions about the various complex systems and people we share the earth with.

– natalie macdonald
Natalie MacDonald ’24

Why did you major in Religion?

My first year at UVM I was undeclared and taking various classes to get a feel for an area of study I might be interested in. I chose to take an introduction religion class that ended up having me hooked throughout the entire semester! I found it incredibly interesting to learn about religion from an introduction standpoint and wanted to know much more! Majoring in religion allowed me to understand the world around me a little bit more and pose important questions about the various complex systems and people we share the earth with. While completing my religion degree I continually learned that there are no clear answers which furthered my interest in religious studies as its an on-going complex topic that deserves to be talked about. 

Where do you imagine yourself in 10 years?

I have no idea! Ideally, I will be perusing my passions for art and learning while somehow continuing my interest in religious studies. 

Imagine a first-year student has asked your advice about REL courses. What’s the one she shouldn’t dream about missing? Why?

I can’t pick just one! I would say any class taught by Ilyse Morgenstein Fuerst or professor Erica Andrus would be incredibly worthwhile. Their classes have been taught in ways that have me engaged while learning meaningful and interesting topics on religion. They also make sure to tie lectures or discussions back to current day events which is always fascinating! 

If you could write any book, what would it be?

If I had to write any book it would probably be about religion and art! That is a very broad topic and maybe once day I’d narrow it down to something more specific! 

Any fond memories of the Department you want to share?

Theres too many fond memories to pick from but I would say the intense thought-provoking discussions that my classmates and I would engage in regularly. 

Anything we missed? Anything else you want to say?

Thank you to all the wonderful professors that I learned so much from as well as my engaging class mates!