Senior Spotlight: a series on our graduates

Religion classes always make things more complicated, nuanced, and contradictory, which is more reflective of how life and people actually work. I really enjoy learning about people in all of their messiness and creativity and religion classes have been the spaces where humans in all of their dynamism and multiplicity can be honored.

– james coppa
James Coppa ’24

Why did you major in Religion?

I chose to switch to a Religion major from Psychology because these classes were the first spaces I encountered where structural inequities and injustices were discussed and examined in dynamic and nuanced ways. Religion classes encompass nearly every topic and aspect of life you could think of which makes classes engaging and allows amply room for creativity and differing perspectives. Religion classes at UVM also actively work against the tendency to narrow people and societies down to easily understood generalizations and ideas. Religion classes always make things more complicated, nuanced, and contradictory, which is more reflective of how life and people actually work. I really enjoy learning about people in all of their messiness and creativity and religion classes have been the spaces where humans in all of their dynamism and multiplicity can be honored. There’s never one right or simple answer which is really quite cathartic for me. 

Where do you imagine yourself in 10 years?

In 10 years I would like to have a PhD in some sort of Religious Studies program and be teaching at some university, ideally outside the US. Religion classes have fostered within me a passion for education as activism through the contestation and analyzation of the ways in which we construct identities and histories and I would like to return the favor. I try to live in a way that can have a more positive impact on the world around me and I see myself as being able to have the greatest possibility for change through education. But perhaps I’ll switch into law or working with an NGO. We’ll see. 

Imagine a first-year student has asked your advice about REL courses. What’s the one she shouldn’t dream about missing? Why?

Definitely Radical Ecologies, especially if you’re interested in science, because it takes so many seemingly disparate elements (philosophy, economy, environmentalism, religion, gender, etc) to highlight the ways in which they are all interconnected to construct the realities and knowledge systems within which we operate. And anything with Ilyse Morgenstein Fuerst—no reason needed. 

If you could write any book, what would it be?

I have a few ideas in mind, but I don’t want to spoil anything… You’ll have to wait and see. 

Any fond memories of the Department you want to share?

Nothing in particular. I’ve been here for so long it’s all blended together. 

What did we miss? Anything else you’d like to share?

Thank you all in the Religion Department for your support, understanding, and passion. I wouldn’t have graduated and had this much excitement for my future had I not made my way over here and met you all.