Introduction to My Place

I am tracking the phenology of a small area of land by the brook in Centennial Woods. The stream, wooden planks, and green, grassy vegetation present all around the wooden planks and stream define my area. To arrive here, you should enter Centennial Woods from Catamount Drive and walk past the wooden sign on the right. A cleared path will appear, and you should stay on this path and keep to the left. Eventually, there will be wooden planks on the trail. Continue on the path, and you will make your way onto another set of wooden planks with a stream to your right and grassy vegetation about three feet tall on your left. When facing the stream, the water should be flowing in a “U” shape, with a patch of land filling in the middle. I will be mainly observing the land and vegetation bordering this part of the stream.

The greenery in this area was not as green and bright as I remember it being. The last time I was at this location was about a month ago, in late September. At my visit this time, I noticed shades of grey and brown mixed into much of green plants, which I had not seen before. This location is very peaceful and more lively than other areas in Centennial. Water tends to attract more biodiversity making my site an area for activity. While here, you can hear the calming sound of water flowing a foot away from you, birds communicating, and the shuffling of animals present in and around the grassy vegetation. 

Being in this area not only made me feel one with nature and should make others too. On the day I visited, I only saw one other person in the woods. The lack of people around made my connection to this area deeper because it was cool to be the only person observing this place at that time. I felt extraordinarily peaceful, and this moment was special. Overall, my visit to my site was incredibly pleasant.

10/21/19 Field Notes
Field Notes

My Site
My Site on 10/21/19