Sense of Place

My sense of place at my site, in Centennial Woods, has developed. When I first picked my spot, it did not have much meaning to me. I had been to Centennial Woods multiple times before, and I just picked a place that I thought was interesting. However, each time I go back to visit my spot, my connection to it deepens. My spot in centennial now means a lot to me. When I sit on the wooden planks and gaze around me at the moving water, various plants, and soil, I feel at peace. I have grown to know my area well. Each visit, I notice something I had not seen before. The plants have turned yet another shade grayer, becoming less green. More leaves have fallen, leaving the trees naked. The ground was now covered snow. Wildlife was not as visible, which is likely due to the cold weather. The woods felt more still than my last visit.

When I think about my connection to Vermont, I think about my spot. Being surrounded by trees and emerged in the woods has come to define my sense of place in Vermont. Over the years, my sight changed. The stream present here was likely not always here. My sense of place at my sight is likely different than somebody else’s sense of place years ago. As time passes by, landscapes change. Plant and animal species evolve, migrate, and die. If I were to visit my site a year from now, my sense of place and connection would be different. This is because my site would not look the same. The history of my site has evolved and will continue to change. Through my blog and the documentation of my site, in the future, when I come to visit my site, I will be able to see how it changed.

11/12