Classifications and Phenological Changes in Centennial Woods

Wednesday, March 06, 2019

Sunny and windy, 15°F

Happy March. Phenological changes are beginning to occur rapidly as the weather is beginning to show the first signs of warming. It was rather exciting to hear the sounds of flowing water from the stream at my Phenology location and the sounds of birds.

This week, I have been tasked with finding the classifications of my natural community. Based on analysis of elevation and trees in the area, I would classify this region of Centennial Woods as an Oak-Pine-Northern Hardwood Forest. This is due to the amounts of oaks, maples, and birches found here. Within this categorization, it seems to be a Mesic Maple-Ash-Hickory Forest because of its common red maple, sugar maple, and beech trees as well as the soils being shallow and well-drained.

My site has displayed evidence of phenological changes most specifically through its changes in stream conditions. Last time I visited, the stream was completely frozen with a layer of snow on top; however, this week, the stream was only partially frozen (in patches) and flowing at an adequate rate. Additionally, water levels were higher due to the recent precipitation we have received. This also meant that there were patches of ice in areas where the increased water flow had nowhere to go.

Other notable findings are tracks found in Centennial Woods. I found squirrel, rabbit, dog, and white tailed deer tracks in the snow. The conditions for tracking were prime, as there was a sheet of ice under fresh snow, making for distinct and precise tracking conditions.

Kampf, M. M. (2019, March 6). Snow Covered Icy Stream [Digital image].

Thompson, E. H., & Sorenson, E. R. (2005). Wetland, woodland, wildland: A guide to the natural communities of Vermont. Montpelier: Vermont Dept. of Fish and Wildlife and the Nature Conservancy.