Wiggly Wood is defined by the man made structure that I call the “wiggly wood walkway”. This walkway is carved tree wood with screws that attach it to pieces of plywood that help keep it sturdy so that people can walk on it. The walkway is warped due to both age and weather affects.

Wiggly Wood is characterized by the variety of different types of life. There is plenty of plant life as I observed birches, maples, oaks, shrubs, grasses, and poison ivy. The majority of trees have thin trunks meaning many of these trees are on the younger side. You can hear birds chirping and see an occasional bee or a mosquito flying by. On the ground there are rocks, moss, leaves, pine cones, and red berries. Three quarters of the leaves have already changed colors.

I know that I am in my place when I am on the tower side of the wood structure, facing towards the remainder of the path. In order to get there, I bus from the Gold Line down to Downtown Transit station and get on the Red Line until I get off on the stop by the Walgreens on North Avenue. I then walked to the parking lot of Ethan Allen Park which has a paved path leading you into the woods. I stay on this path until I notice a sign relating to the tower which I then turn left onto a dirt path. Eventually there will be a fork in the path in which I veer to the left eventually taking me to the Tower. I then make a right at the tower and in roughly 40 steps you arrive at Wiggly Wood. 

The experience of being at this place is mostly calming outside of hearing the occasional traffic or running into the occasional visitor. The combination of birds chirping, a light breeze against the trees, and the smell of nature gives a tranquil experience. Looking at the Ethan Allen Tower makes me reflect on the history of this location as it had been a former lookout tower in the United States military. It makes me wonder what other things I don’t know relating to this area.